Has been described as a Questionable Masonry Castle, and also as a Questionable Fortified Manor House
There are no visible remains
|Alternative Names||The Brewery
Whether the sham castle is built on ancient foundations is not sure, but unlikely, as there have been three houses of three distinct periods called Mamhead house. Whether a medieval castle stood where the sham castle now stands is not ascertained but it would have been an impossible place to defend (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card).
Mamhead House. Neo Tudor French plasterwork by John Willement around 1832 on site of alleged medieval castle. Immediately behind Mamhead House on the foundation of a genuine medieval castle, are outbuildings in the form of a sham castle, copied from Belsay, Northumberland (Pevsner).
In 1822 the old 17th century house was demolished to build new house (Baldwin). (Devon and Dartmoor HER)
Mamhead House, an Elizabethan manor house, was demolished and rebuilt by Sir Peter Ball (1598-1680). This mansion was completed by his son before 1718. Thomas Ball, who succeeded to the estate in 1718. planted the grounds with exotic trees brought back from foreign journeys. The estate was bought by Mr Newman in 1823. He completely rebuilt the present house on a new site in 1830 to the designs of Salvin. The tree planted to mark the original site of Mamhead House was still in existence in 1953. (PastScape)
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SX929812