Winderwath House

Has been described as a Questionable Pele Tower

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameWinderwath House
Alternative Names
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishBrougham

House. Mid C17 incorporating medieval features, with extensive C19 and C20 additions and alterations. Pointed-arched blocked doorway in gable wall is thought by owner to be the original doorway into the 'pele tower', but the layout has the appearance of a C15 hall rather than a C14 tower and there is no documentary evidence to suggest a tower on this site. Belonged to the Clifford family until purchased in C17 by Thomas Braithwaite. (Listed Building Report)

Mid C17th house incorporating Mediaeval features. The original house is at right-angles to the rear. A C15th window is set in a thick wall which judging from the general layout was the external wall of a C15th hall-house. The rest of the house was altered in the C19th and C20th. (PastScape)

Winderwath, house and outbuilding in a detached part of the parish {of Cliburn}, about 3 m. N.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. There are remains of a mediƦval building incorporated in the present structure, which was, however, largely re-built and remodelled late in the 17th century. The house was again altered c. 1860, when a S.E. wing was added; this has been extended in recent years. The exterior has no ancient features except a 17th-century doorway on the W. front; it has a moulded architrave and panelled and enriched pilasters, supporting consolebrackets, enriched frieze and cornice; above the doorway is a re-set shield-of-arms of Clifford impaling Vipont. Re-set in a gable of the N. wing is a grotesque head-corbel, a stone carved with a cinquefoil and a shield bearing a cross with a cinquefoil in the quarter. Inside the building, the dining-room has a 17th-century fireplace with rusticated jambs and head, enriched Ionic side-pilasters, frieze with blank shields and a wreath and a moulded cornice. In the main E. wall is a 15th-century window of one trefoiled light with a moulded label. In the N

wall of the kitchen is a mediƦval doorway with a two-centred head and E. of it is a late 17th-century fireplace; it has a corbelled lintel enriched with mouldings and carved blocks. (RCHME 1936)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY598293
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 319 (plan)
  • Hudleston, C.R., Boumphrey, R.S. and Hughes, J., 1978, Cumberland Families and Heraldry (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 23) p. 48, 232, 377
  • RCHME, 1936, An inventory of the historical monuments in Westmorland (HMSO) p. 68-9 no. 3 online transcription
  • Nicholson, J. and Burn, B., 1777, The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland (London) Vol. 1 p. 400 online copy


  • Manuscripts of the Reverend Thomas Machell, vicar of Kirkby Thore (d 1698) Vol. 1 (preserved at the Cumberland Record Office)


  • Collingwood, W.G., 1926, 'An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Westmorland and Lancashire North-of-the-Sands' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 26 p. 14 online copy
  • Ragg, F.W., 1914, 'De Culwen' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 14 p. 371 online copy