Has been described as a Questionable Fortified Manor House
There are earthwork remains
Around the site of the monastic hospital at Whitchurch there remains the greater part of an irregular square moat (VCH 1908).
A hospital for the poor, aged and infirm was founded at Whitchurch in the 13th century and was dissolved probably in the 15th century. It was dependent upon Haughmond Abbey (Knowles and Hadcock 1971).
A now-dry sub-square moat measuring, overall, 100.0m NE to SW by 80m transversely. The arms are from 10.0 to 18.0m in width and are up to 2.0m in depth. The moat is in fair condition except for the SE arm which has been largely filled-in. The enclosed area is occupied by The Old Rectory, a derelict 19th century building with outbuildings (F1 ASP 26-MAR-76). (PastScape)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference