Scrooby Palace

Has been described as a Certain Palace (Bishop), and also as a Certain Fortified Manor House

There are earthwork remains

NameScrooby Palace
Alternative NamesManor Farm
Historic CountryNottinghamshire
Modern AuthorityNottinghamshire
1974 AuthorityNottinghamshire
Civil ParishScrooby

The manor House or Archiepiscopal Palace of Scrooby, was built of brick and wood, and contained 39 rooms, including a domestic chapel. The remains of the moat can be seen, but the mansion has disappeared. The present farm-house may incorporate part of the building, or be built from the materials of it. 'The site of the palace is now the home close of a farmhouse. There was a bridge and a gate-house at the entrance, and the area was walled round in 'brick'. (Mellors)

The palace, at Scrooby, was constantly used by the Archbishops of York in the C13 and C14, and remained in use until the episcopate of Archbishop Sandes (1577-89). (Niemeyer)

Archbishop Sandes caused the palace at Scrooby to be leased to his son, Sir Samuel Sandes. The house has since 'been demolished almost to the ground'. It was standing 'within memory' 1677. (Thoroton)

The published siting symbol was not confirmed. This part of the enclosed area is grass covered and hummocky. Some of these disturbances, in conjunction with the remains of fishponds, can probably be ascribed to landscape gardening. Others are suggestive of concealed foundations. There is no evidence to suggest that part of the former palace is incorporated in the present farmhouse. Some features, however, would seem to confirm that material from it was utilized in the building. These include the remains of two C16 windows contained in the west wall, which itself is built of a thin "Tudor type" brick; and carved oak beams in the roof structure of one of the farm outbuildings. The surrounding moat is best preserved in the S.W. corner, where it has an average internal depth of 1.3 m. The western and northern arms are traceable by a single scarp only, except where it is obliterated by Manor House Farm. This scarp varies in height from 1.6 m. to 0.6m. In the east the arm is extant for three quarters of its length, and has an average depth of 0.7 m. No trace of the moat remains in the S.E. corner

Remains of a bank on the counterscarp, of average height 0.5 m., exist, externally on the eastern, and internally on the southern arms.The bottom of the moat is marshy in the east and south and it is transversed by a modern drainage ditch. A modern ditch also abuts the remains of the northern arm. No traces of a gatehouse and bridge, or of an encircling wall remain (Field Investigators Comments-F1 RWE 02-MAR-60). (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

C15 double courted palace of the Archbishop of York was moated and had a brick gatehouse, but buildings were otherwise timber framed (cf. Leconfield, a house of the Percies). A fragment of the gatehouse remains.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSK653908
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 180
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 301-3
  • Thompson, M.W., 1998, Medieval bishops' houses in England and Wales (Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing) p. 188
  • Sneyd, Steve, 1995, The Devil's Logbook Castles and Fortified Sites around South Yorkshire (Hilltop Press) p. 15
  • Niemeyer, N., 1911, 'Introductory Chapter' in Rait, R.S. (ed), English Episcopal Palaces (Province of York) (London; Constable & Co) p. 5 online copy
  • Stevenson, W., 1906, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Nottinghamshire Vol. 1 p. 310 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 225 online copy
  • Thoroton, Robert, 1677, Antiquites of Nottinghamshire p. 479-80 1796 edition transcription


  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England (Sutton Publishing) p. 352
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1907, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 1 p. 34 online copy


  • Mellors, R., 1905, 'Scrooby' Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire Vol. 9 online copy


  • Payne, Naomi, 2003, The medieval residences of the bishops of Bath and Wells, and Salisbury (PhD Thesis University of Bristol) Appendix B: List of Medieval Bishop's Palaces in England and Wales (available via EThOS)