Has been described as a Possible Bastle
There are masonry ruins/remnants remains
House, incorporating a bastle house. C16 or early C17, remodelled 1732 for William Charlton. Ramdon rubble with ashlar dressings, graduated Lakeland slate roof. Two storeys, 3 bays with lower one-bay extension to right.
Central half-glazed door in raised stone surround with lintel inscribed W C in moulded panel. On the ground floor 3 sash windows in raised stone 1732 surrounds, one a C20 insertion. On 1st floor 3 similar windows. Steeply-pitched gabled roof with flat coping and kneelers. On right return a re-used C16 doorhead with roll moulding and apparently meaningless inscription of letters and numbers.
Interior has walls c.36 inches thick. Two- and 3-panelled doors. Drawing room has C18 cornice with vine scrolls and late C18 fireplace with gesso decoration. (Listed Building Report)
(NY 78458848) The remains of the original walls of an old pele are to be seen in the centre of the present house Redheugh. A date stone 'WC 1732', applies to the present building (Clarke).
NY 78408850. It has been found impossible to contact the occupiers of this house. The owner, Mrs T Walker of West Burnbank, has been interviewed but knows nothing of the history of the building. Perambulation and examination of the exterior of the house revealed no evidence of great antiquity. Date stone, as noted by Clarke is visible in the south face (F1 FDC 11-JUL-1956).
The exterior and interior walls of the building are of a uniform thickness of 0.8m with no features to indicate the incorporation of a peel tower (F2 DS 30-JUL-1970).
17th century, remodelled in 1732. Built of random rubble with graduated Lakeland slate roof. There are thick walls at various points in the house which probably started life as a bastle house. An early 19th century door lintel, with roll-moulded surround and an illegible (and probably illiterate) inscripiton, has been re-used over a side window
The front was remodelled in 1732, probably for William Clarion of Hesleyside; the raised stone surround of the door is inscribed WC 1732. The door and windows are 20th century insertions, mainly in the original openings. The roof is steeply-pitched with flat coping and kneelers. Inside there are early 18th century two- and three-panelled doors. The drawing room has a pretty 18th century plaster cornice and vine scrolls, and a later 18th century pine fireplace with gesso decoration (Grundy 1987). (Northumberland HER)
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NY784885