Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower
There are no visible remains
|Alternative Names||Turris de Bewfronte; bello fronte; Befront; Befron
Country House, 1836-1841 by John Dobson for William Cuthbert, incorporating part of late C17 mansion of the Errington family, on medieval site (Listed Building Report)
A list dated 1415 refers to a tower at Beaufront (Bates 1891).
Beaufront Castle stands on the site of the tower of Beaufront, mentioned in 1415, and styled a manor in 1547. In 1587 the estate was sold to the Erringtons who made it their chief residence. The present house, in the domestic castellated style, was built in 1841, but the kitchens and rooms above are 17th C. and the clock tower bell is inscribed '1694' (Hodgson 1897).
A large private residence surrounded by extensive ornamental grounds, the site commands extensive views to the S.E. & W. along the R. Tyne Valley. The ground and first floor of the N.E. wing of domestic offices are the sole visible remains of the 17th C. building, all the windows within this portion are modern insertions. There is no structural evidence for the pre 1415 tower (F1 FDC 23.5.56).
It is assumed that the tower house was built by John de Errington circa 1380. The tower was incorporated into a new mansion in 1586, but apparently disappeared when the present building was completed in 1841 (Dodds 1999). (PastScape)
Beaufront Castle was first recorded as a tower in 1415. In 1587 it was sold to the Errington family who made it their main house. The present house was built in 1841, though it includes earlier remains. (Keys to the Past)
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NY963659