Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower
There are no visible remains
|Alternative Names||Caraw; Carrow
The vill of Carrawer was a member of the liberty of Tynedale. Medieval documents state that the settlement had been granted to Hexham Priory in C12 and other documents record leases and changes in ownership. In C14 the township was held in five farms but by 1536 the 'pasture was waste and valueless'. A tower also stood here in C15 but had fallen into ruins by the mid C15. By the late C18 there was only one farmstead. (Keys to the Past)
The vill of Carrawer was a member of the liberty of Tynedale. The 1298 'inspeximus' of Hexham Priory lands stated that the hamlet of Carrawer had been granted to the Priory in the 12th century. In 1379 in the Black Book of Hexham the vill of Carraw was recorded as on lease by Robert Ogle; the whole township was held in five farms.
Survey of 1536 said Carrawe pasture was waste and valueless; in 1542 the tower of Carraw and stone house were uninhabited and decayed, and the whole township waste. Six buildings shown on Military Road map of 1749. Twenty years later it comprised a single farmstead. No earthworks seen around present farmstead (Wrathmell 1975).
Caraw Tower. Part of the grange of Hexham. A stone house added to the tower in 1406. Listed in 1541 - house and tower in decay (Long 1967).
To the west of existing farm buildings, on both sides of the B6318 road, are faint traces of platforms or enclosures, at NY 84897109 and NY 84907105, which may indicate the site of now vanished buildings. Likewise, vague earthworks which overlie the Vallum at about NY 84757100, could possibly indicate that the settlement formerly extended into this area. Alternatively, they could be accounted for as erosion channels or hollow ways (Gates 2004). (Northumberland HER)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NY849711