West Harle Tower
Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower
There are no visible remains
|West Harle Tower
|Great Harle; Turris de West herle
A list dated 1415 mentions a tower at West Harle (Bates 1891).
The old mansion house at West Harle has windows with mullions and weather mouldings of stone. One room, now a kitchen, is vaulted and was probably the vault of the tower. The additions to this part were probably made in 1629, the date appearing over the front door (Hodgson 1827).
NY 99048203. The present farmhouse at West Harle is a small plain building, which appears quite modern. It occupies a good position and so is probably built on the site of the mediaeval tower and later mansion (F1 EG 17-APR-56).
Incorporated in the stone walls around the farm are portions of the original house walls and stone roofing slabs. An earth and stone bank at NY 99048199 probably represents the remains of two houses, all that survives apart from the present farm of the village which traditionally comprised of 16 houses (F2 BHP 06-MAR-68 ).
The tower at West Harle had been built by the early 15th century. In 1722 the tower at West Harle was described as a 'stone vaulted room used as a kitchen', that is completely enveloped by the later farmhouse (Dodds 1999). (PastScape)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference