East Ditchburn Tower
Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower, and also as a Possible Bastle
There are no visible remains
|East Ditchburn Tower
A survey of c 1715 refers to an old fortified tower at East Ditchburn (Hodgson 1916).
The foundations stand about 100 yards to the NE of the present farmhouse and near the site of the old pond (ie at NU 14022146) (Wilson 1886).
There are no visible remains. The field to the east of the farm has been ploughed many times but no foundations have been encountered. The old pond was at NU 14002142 (F1 EG 18-FEB-55).
The tower at nearby South Charlton was built in 1450 by the second Earl of Northumberland for the protection of his tenants, and this tower may have been built at the same time. It was described as being very old in 1715 (Dodds 1999). (PastScape)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference