Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower
There are no visible remains
Part of an old tower, possibly dating from 1340, was apparently once incorporated into the farmhouse of Easington Grange, though no trace of such a structure can now be identified. Neither the form nor the date of construction of the tower is known. (PastScape)
Part of an ancient tower was, until recently, incorporated in the farmhouse of Easington Grange (NU 11903582) (Bateson 1893).
No trace survives in the present building (F1 RE 28-OCT-1968).
Easington Grange. Grade II listed building. A probably 16th century house, altered in early 17th century and in 18th century. Walls of front wing are 4ft (1.2m) thick (Listed Building Report). (Northumberland HER)
The Anglian home of the Aesc family is a mile to the south-east of the Grange, which by comparison is quite modern. Very little is known about the place for certain, but it may have been contemporary with the strengthened grange at Fenham – say about 1340 – for it appears to have had an interior 'tower chamber' similar to that installed at Fenham. There is also an Easington Grange Mill a quarter of a mile to its north, so the possibility cannot be ruled out this was another grain production scheme operated by, or on behalf of, the Lindisfarne monks.
The grange was destroyed when a farm was built on the site so we are robbed of material evidence. The farm was bought by the Culley Brothers in 1801. (Dodds 1999)
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NU119358