Cote Walls Tower, Biddlestone
Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower
There are no visible remains
|Name||Cote Walls Tower, Biddlestone
|Alternative Names||Coat Walls; Coteswall; Cotte walles
Described in the Survey of 1541 as a little tower in good repair, belonging to Percival Selby. (Not listed in the Survey of 1415 pp 12 - 20) (Bates 1891).
Coteswall .... a vill of five house and in it the ruins of an old tower (Hodgson 1916)
The remains described by Hadcock (1939) as those of a mediaeval tower consist of three walls - evidently those of an old cottage. The walls are 0.6 metres thick and contain no architectural features that would associate them with a tower.
NT 97360747: The most likely site for a tower at Cotewalls would appear to be a grassy platform in pasture a little south of the present farm buildings, and on slightly higher ground. Visible among the roots of a tree in the south east corner of this platform are some large square stones: these appear to have formed the corner of a building, and at one point a rough plinth course is visible. In this vicinity too is a scatter of large stones, some of which are dressed. The field walls to the west of the farm buildings contain many large stones including some roughly dressed stones. These may have come from the tower. No significant field names appear to have survived (F1 DAD 02-MAY-57)
As described in report of 2 5 75 though the area NT 97380747 has been planted with conifers. Though it is a possibility that the tower was sited here, there is insufficient evidence to identify it (F2 ISS 01-FEB-77)
The tower was built by the Priory of Brinkburn at some time between 1415 and 1500. The 1541 survey of towers noted it to be in good repair. The tower was ruinous by 1715 (Dodds). (PastScape)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NT973074