Weedon Lois Castle Mound

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte Ringwork)

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

NameWeedon Lois Castle Mound
Alternative NamesLois Weedon; Wedone; Weedon Pinkney; Weedon St Loys; Loys Weedon
Historic CountryNorthamptonshire and the Soke of Peterborough
Modern AuthorityNorthamptonshire
1974 AuthorityNorthamptonshire
Civil ParishWeston And Weedon

Castle Hill at Weedon Lois is one of seven surviving ringworks in Northamptonshire and its original history and ownership are well documented. In addition, it forms part of a distinctive cluster of ringworks with Culworth, Sulgrave and Canons Ashby, and as such, has considerable potential for retaining evidence concerning the relationship between this group of sites.

Castle Hill ringwork at Weedon Lois lies in the centre of the village, adjacent to the village green and to the east of the parish church of St Peter and St Mary. The ringwork has a sub-rectangular bank approximately 3m to 4m high which surrounds a central area about 23m across. The interior of the mound is higher than the surrounding land and in places, particularly on the south of the site where there has been a little disturbance, the bank is level with the interior. There is a slight impression of a ditch up to 5m wide on the east and north east of the ringwork, within the area of the village green. On the west and south of the ringwork the line of the ditch is indicated by the modern sunken roadway. This ringwork is considered to have been constructed as a defensive earthwork by Ghilo of Picquigni, who was recorded at the time of Domesday as holding Weedon as the head manor of his estates. It is known too that he held part of the estate at Sulgrave with two other persons, one of whom owned land at Culworth. Ringworks are also preserved at both of these sites. (Scheduling Report)

Motte or Ringwork (SP 602470; Figs. 13 and 120), stands in the centre of Weedon Lois village, immediately E. of the church and on the W. side of The Green, on Boulder Clay at 145 m

above OD.

Nothing is known of the history of this site, but in 1086 Weedon was held by Ghilo who also held the adjoining parishes of Sulgrave and Culworth (VCH Northants., I (1902), 344–5). The earthworks at Weedon may have resembled ringworks at Culworth and Sulgrave and the three sites may have been contemporary and constructed by the same man. Excavations at Sulgrave have indicated that the ringwork there was constructed in the late 11th century.

The remains are tree-covered and in poor condition; as a result it is almost impossible to recover their original form. They now consist of a roughly rectangular raised area, some 2 m. high, with a flat top, but with traces of a low bank along its N. side. There is no indication of a ditch and the road to the W. and the footpath to the S. both appear to have been cut back into the original mound. The gardens of the house to the S. of the site are also raised to much the same height as the castle mound, and this has led to the suggestion that there may have been a bailey here (OS Record Cards), but this idea can only be confirmed by excavation.

The relationship of the ringwork to the green and to the existing street plan is interesting. It is possible that both the ringwork and the gardens to the S. might be encroachments on an older and larger green. Alternatively the green could have evolved from the abandoned castle site in the later medieval period. In the S.W. corner of the mound are traces of stonework said to be the abutments of a feature called the Japanese Bridge and perhaps the relic of an 18th or 19th-century garden feature (OS Record Cards). (RCHME)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSP602470
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Lowerre, A.G., 2007, 'A GIS Analysis of the Location of Late-Eleventh-Century Castles in the Southeastern Midlands of England' in' Clark, J.T. and E.M. Hagemeister (eds.) Digital Discovery. Exploring New Frontiers in Human Heritage (Archaeolingua) p. 239-252 online copy
  • Lowerre, A.G., 2005, Placing Castles in the Conquest. Landscape, Lordship and Local Politics in the South-Eastern Midlands, 1066-1100 (Oxford: John and Erica Hedges Ltd: BAR British Series 385) p. 254
  • Salter, Mike, 2002, The Castles of the East Midlands (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 83
  • RCHME, 1982, 'Motte or ringwork' An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Northampton Vol. 4: South-west Northamptonshire (HMSO) p. 163-4 online transcription
  • Serjeantson, R.M., Ryland, W. and Adkins, D. (eds), 1902, VCH Northamptonshire Vol. 1 p. 344 (Domesday survey) online copy


  • Youngs, S.M. et al, 1988, 'Medieval Britain and Ireland in 1987' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 32 p. 267 online copy
  • Dix, B., (ed), 1986-7, 'Archaeology in Northamptonshire 1985-6' Northamptonshire Archaeology Vol. 21 p. 158 download from ArchLib
  • Hall, David, 1975, South Midlands Archaeology: CBA Group 9 Newsletter Vol. 5 p. 28 online copy


  • Lowerre, A.G., 2004, Placing Castles in the Conquest. Landscape, Lordship and Local Politics in the South-Eastern Midlands, 1066-1100 (PhD thesis: Boston College) p. 569-71