Has been described as a Rejected Masonry Castle
There are earthwork remains
|Alternative Names||Castlehow; Diddersley Grange; Didderston Grange
|Modern Authority||North Yorkshire
|1974 Authority||North Yorkshire
A grange of Jervaulx Cistercian Abbey (SE 18 NE 1) at Melsonby, known as Grange Castle. It is a rectangular earthwork approx. 200 ft x 120 ft incorporated within and near the SE corner of a larger rectangular enclosure, of which the bank and ditches of the S and W sides are just discernible on air photographs. There is little early documentary evidence of the grange, but the Abbey undoubtedly held property from an early date in Melsonby. (VCH) The farm was sold a few months after the suppression of the Abbey in 1537 (VCH; Platt).
Didderston Grange to the west of Gatherly Moor, the site of which is known, although there are no remains, was granted to Jervaulx in 1227-8 by Henry III. The abbey estates are now represented by the 2 farms, High Grange and Low Grange. (VCH).
The remains of the grange consist of a rectangular moated enclosure measuring 60.0m by 40.0m with traces of internal turf covered foundations. The moat, which is now dry, averages 8.0m in width and 1.0m in depth and has a causewayed entrance on the north side. There is no trace of the larger rectangular enclosure referred to as being visible on air photographs.
The name "Grange Castle" is more commonly used locally than Didderstone Grange.
Deserted Medieval village at Didderston, probably attached to Didderston Grange. Grange site visible on air photographs but there is no evidence for a surrounding deserted Medieval village. (PastScape)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NZ184076