Has been described as a Questionable Timber Castle (Motte), and also as a Questionable Fortified Manor House
There are no visible remains
Site of Motte and Bailey. B Cozens-Hardy owns a sketch plan made circa 1850.
The remains of the earthworks still exist of the once famous castle of the Fitz-Langs close by the celebrated mere (Scoulton mere) (Bryant 2896).
There are no surveyable remains at the indicated site which is however topographically suitable for defence. The enclosed oval field is very slightly raised above the surrounding area reaching a maximum height of 0.4 m.
Despite the reference to "the once famous castle ...", extensive research has produced no other mention; it was confirmed that the family owned lands at Scoulton in the 13th/15th centuries but no mention of a residence could be found.
Tithe maps consulted carry no indicative field names (F1 JB 24-JAN-73). (PastScape)
An oval enclosure is recorded half a mile north of Abergavenny Farm. It is believed that this is the earthwork of the castle built by Constantine Mortimer that was licensed by Edward II. The site was ploughed in 1945 but the damage this may have caused has not been determined. It has been suggested that the castle site lies to the south (NHER 8809) but it still unclear where exactly the castle was situated. A study of enclosure and tithe maps has not provided any place name evidence to indicate where the medieval castle stood. (Norfolk HER)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||TF968026