New Buckenham Town Defences

Has been described as a Certain Urban Defence

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

NameNew Buckenham Town Defences
Alternative Names
Historic CountryNorfolk
Modern AuthorityNorfolk
1974 AuthorityNorfolk
Civil ParishNew Buckenham

Medieval defences of Earthen banks. Short sections of circuit remain. Dependency of New Buckenham Castle

New Buckenham was originally a town laid out beyond the castle bailey founded in the late 12th century by William de Albini, Earl of Sussex. A text survives from him to the burgesses confirming grants of Earl William his father and Earl William his grandfather. This takes the origin of the castle back to either the founder of the castle, who died in 1176, or to his son who died in 1193. It was first recorded as a borough in 1247-8. The town had a rectilinear layout comparable to a similar settlement laid out by the de Albinis near to the castle at Rising. The settlement was square in plan and surrounded by a boundary ditch and canalized stream on three sides, of which there are some extant remains. Within the boundary of this defensive ditch are many 15th to 18th century houses, many now fronted with 19th century brick, and the 15th century parish church. It is thought that the plan was altered by the foundation of this parish church originally constructed by Robert de Tateshale in the mid-late 13th century and also by the construction of buildings over the southern market in the 16th century, of which the original limit is now marked by Boosey's Walk. (PastScape)

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTM088906
Latitude52.4726715087891
Longitude1.07005000114441
Eastings608800
Northings290600
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Creighton, O.H. and Higham, R.A., 2005, Medieval Town Walls (Stroud: Tempus) p. 24, 72, 264
  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles of East Anglia (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 61 (mention)
  • Margeson, S., Seiller, F. and Rogerson, A., 1994, The Normans in Norfolk (Norfolk Museums Service) p. 88, 89
  • Bond, C.J., 1987, 'Anglo-Saxon and Medieval Defences' in Schofield, J. and Leech, R. (eds) Urban Archaeology in Britain (CBA Research Report 61) p. 92-116 online copy
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 312
  • Beresford, M.W. and St.Joseph, J.K.S., 1979 (2edn), Medieval England, an Aerial Survey (Cambridge: CUP) p. 226-8
  • Beresford, M. and Finberg, H.P.R., 1973, English Medieval Boroughs: a Handlist (Newton Abbot: David and Charles) p. 226
  • Beresford, Maurice, 1967, New towns of the Middle Ages: town plantation in England, Wales and Gascony (London: Lutterworth Press) p. 467
  • Blomefield, Francis, 1805, 'Hundred of Shropham: New-Bukenham' An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Vol. 1 p. 395-405 online transcription

Journals

  • Creighton, Oliver, 2006, ''Castles of Communities': Medieval Town Defences in England; Wales and Gascony' Ch√Ęteau Gaillard Vol. 22 p. 75-86
  • Bond J., 2001, 'Earthen Castles, Outer Enclosures and the Earthworks at Ascott d'Oilly Castle, Oxfordshire' Oxoniensia Vol. 46 p. 65-6 (Appendix: Norman earthwork castles with failed towns in outer enclosures) online copy
  • Rutledge, P., 1980, 'New Buckenham' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 137 p. 352-3