Blakeney Harbour Sconce

Has been described as a Possible Artillery Fort

There are no visible remains

NameBlakeney Harbour Sconce
Alternative NamesBlackkey
Historic CountryNorfolk
Modern AuthorityNorfolk
1974 AuthorityNorfolk
Civil ParishBlakeney

As a result of the the invasion scare of 1568 or 1577, a small earthwork fort or sconce was built to cover the entrance to Blakeney Harbour. (PastScape ref. Kent 1988)

"Also a small scunce to be made at Blackkey to garde ye entry at Claye haven."

Gatehouse Comments

The discovery of cannon balls at Mariners Hill suggest it may have been sited there although the actual evidence is for an intent to make a sconce which may or may not have actually been acted upon. The cannon balls may have come from some other source.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTG028440
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Hooton, J.J., 1996, Glaven Ports: Maritime History of Blakeney, Cley and Wiveton in North Norfolk (Blakeney History Group)
  • Kent, Peter, 1988, Fortifications of East Anglia (Lavenham: Ternence Dalton) p. 176


  • Cozens-Hardy, B., 1938, 'Norfolk Coastal defences in 1588' Norfolk Archaeology Vol. 26 p. 310-14