Moulton Kings Hall

Has been described as a Possible Timber Castle (Motte), and also as a Possible Masonry Castle, and also as a Certain Fortified Manor House

There are earthwork remains

NameMoulton Kings Hall
Alternative NamesKings Hall Park; Quapelode; Whaplode; Muleton'
Historic CountryLincolnshire
Modern AuthorityLincolnshire
1974 AuthorityLincolnshire
Civil ParishMoulton

The moated site at King's Hall survives well as a series of earthworks and buried deposits. Waterlogging in the moat will preserve organic remains, such as timber, leather and seeds, which will give an insight into domestic and economic activity on the site. In addition the artificially raised ground preserves evidence of land use prior to the construction of the moat. Associated with a well known family and occupied over a long period of time it contributes to our understanding of the development of a relatively high status component of the medieval landscape. As a result of detailed documentary research and archaeological survey, the history of the site is quite well understood.

The monument includes a medieval moated site known as King's Hall, thought to have been the residence of the de Moulton family. In 1086 there were two land holdings at Moulton belonging to Ivo Taillebois and Guy de Craon. By the early 13th century much of the land at Moulton had passed to Thomas de Moulton as tenant of Guy de Craon. It is believed that the moated site was established during the late 12th century on land reclaimed from the fen. In 1216 reference is made to the 'castle of Moulton' and subsequent references include one to repairs made in 1461. By the 1530s part of the building was still standing but after the 18th century was no longer visible above ground.

Situated on level ground the monument takes the form of a raised island enclosed by a moat. The island is 'D'-shaped in plan, measuring approximately 85m by 80m, and stands up to 1.5m above the surrounding ground level. The surrounding moat is water-filled and measures up to 18m in width. The north western moat arm is crossed by two earthen causeways thought to represent original points of access to the island.

The island is thought to have been occupied by a fortified manor house which survives as a buried feature

During World War II medieval pottery ranging in date from the late 13th century to the early 14th century was revealed during the construction of a bunker on the northern part of the island. (Scheduling Report)

Medieval moat probably established in the late C12. It was occupied by the Multon family in 1313. There are references to the house made in documentary sources including its repair in in 1461. In the 1530s part of the building was still standing but had disappeared after C18. The moat surrounds a D shaped raised island measuring 85 by 80m and up to 1.5m above the surrounding area. The moat is water filled and is up to 18m wide. The northern arm is crossed by two earthen causeways. A trench was cut in the moat between during the Second World War by the Home Guard for a bunker. A thick layer of charred material and late C13-early C14 pottery was found. (PastScape)

Thomas Muleton knight had his castel in the fenne halfe a mile from Quapelode; wherof some smaul parte yet standith. (Leland)

Gatehouse Comments

Considered an oval motte by King although described as a D shaped moat in the scheduling report. In the late C12, when the site seems to have been first built, the surrounding marsh land could have been a considerable defensive boundary, although there must have been causeways and drainage of the fens had started, indeed the site is on reclaimed land and much of the function of the moat here is drainage. It may have been a masonry building from the start and although called a castle at times it was at other times called a house and was probably not of a strength to usually be regarded as a castle.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTF312212
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Osborne, Mike, 2010, Defending Lincolnshire: A Military History from Conquest to Cold War (The History Press) p. 41
  • Salter, Mike, 2002, The Castles of the East Midlands (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 58
  • Roffe, David, 1993, 'Castles' in Bennett, S. and Bennett, N. (eds), An Historical Atlas of Lincolnshire (University of Hull Press) p. 40-1
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 262, 267n25
  • Renn, D.F., 1973 (2 edn.), Norman Castles of Britain (London: John Baker) p. 249
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus, 1964, Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Harmondsworth) p. 608 (slight)
  • White, W., 1872 (3edn), History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire p. 751 online copy
  • Marrat, Wm, 1816, The History of Lincolnshire, Topographical, Historical and Descriptive (Boston) Vol. 3 Additions online copy
  • Marrat, Wm, 1814, The History of Lincolnshire, Topographical, Historical and Descriptive (Boston) Vol. 2 p. 116-119 online copy


  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 298
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1908, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 2 p. 147 online copy


  • 1980, Moated Sites Research Group report Vol. 7 p. 54
  • 1970, 'Archaeological Notes for 1969' Lincolnshire History and Archaeology Vol. 4 p. 13
  • 1968, 'Archaeological Notes for 1967' Lincolnshire History and Archaeology Vol. 3 p. 33
  • Brown, R. Allen, 1959, 'A List of Castles, 1154–1216' English Historical Review Vol. 74 p. 249-280 (Reprinted in Brown, R. Allen, 1989, Castles, conquest and charters: collected papers (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 90-121) view online copy (subscription required)

Primary Sources

  • Hardy, T.D. (ed), 1835, Rotuli litterarm patentium in Turri londinensi asservati (Record Commission) p. 164b view online copy
  • Hardy, T.D. (ed), 1833, Rotuli litterarum clausarum in turri Londinensi asservati (Record Commission) Vol. 1 p. 313b online copy
  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1901, Calendar of Patent Rolls Henry III (1216-25) Vol. 1 p. 85 online copy
  • Foster, W.E., 1914, 'Lord Boston's Muniments' Lincolnshire Notes and Queries p. 46
  • E178/1651 (Survey of 14 Elizabeth) The National Archives reference


  • English Heritage, 2000, Revised scheduing document 33126. MPP 23
  • Healey, R.H. and Roffe, D.R., Some medieval and later earthworks in South Lincolnshire p. 61-3 (unpub)