Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are no visible remains

Alternative NamesSculcotes; Scowscotes
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityKingston upon Hull; City of
1974 AuthorityHumberside
Civil ParishKingston upon Hull

Licence to crenellate granted to John Grey of Rotherfield in 1346 and repeated in 1348.

There was a manor-house in Sculcoates by 1346; in that year John Grey received a licence to fortify it. It stood on the river bank in the 17th century but had disappeared by the 1780s. From about 1312 until 1330 Robert de Moreby, who had married the widow of John de Grey the elder, shared the lordship of the manor with John de Grey the younger. In 1376 Robert de Grey granted the manor to John de Neville. (VCH)

Gatehouse Comments

Not in PastScape, no obvious site for manor house on 1st edition OS map, now a built up part of the city of Kingston upon Hull. Map reference given is for site of parish church, which presumably this presumably fortified manor was close to. 16 years after getting sole possession suggests the licence to crenellate was not about confirming ownership. Possibly money from the french wars allowed the funding of a new building (John was involved in the Crecy expedition) although, Gatehouse suspects, little building took place before the Black Death in 1349 and that this was never much of a residential manor for the de Grey's which made it's disposal, in the more financially difficult 1370's, fairly easy.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTA097307
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

() above

Latitude 53° 45' 38.86" Longitude 0° 20' 9.74"

View full Sized Image

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 421
  • Allison, K.J. (ed), 1969, VCH Yorkshire: East Riding Vol. 1 p. 467-9 online transcription
  • Blashill, Thomas, 1896, Sutton-in-Holderness The manor, the berewic and the village community p. 30-31, 57 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 415 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1903, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward III (1345-48) Vol. 7 p. 514 online copy
  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1905, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward III (1348-50) Vol. 8 p. 36 online copy
  • Survey of Scowscotes lordship containing 695 a. 21p. transcribed anno dom, 1691 (Held by Hull History Centre)