Haselworth Castle, Gosport

Has been described as a Certain Artillery Fort

There are no visible remains

NameHaselworth Castle, Gosport
Alternative NamesHasilworth
Historic CountryHampshire and the Isle of Wight
Modern AuthorityHampshire
1974 AuthorityHampshire
Civil ParishGosport

The importance of defending the western approaches to Portsmouth Harbour were further recognised by the construction of Haselworth Castle before 1545 as part of Henry VIII's programme of defending the south coast against invasion. The castle is portrayed as a tower surrounded by a circular wall on a portrait of the harbour entrance of 1545. An armament list of 1547 shows the castle as more lightly armed than Lymden's Bulwark which lay further to the north-east. However, the castle was abandoned as a result of the review of coastal fortifications by the Marquis of Winchester in 1556. Indeed it is marked as in ruins on Norden's map of 1630. The remains of the castle were still visible in the late 18th Century probably on or near the present day site of Fort Monckton. (Hampshire AHBR)

Gatehouse Comments

The exact siting of this fort is unknown and various authors suggest under Fort Blockhouse or under Haslar Hospital. Fort Monkton, at the given location, seems the most reasonable suggestion.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSZ612978
Latitude50.7765007019043
Longitude-1.13329005241394
Eastings461200
Northings97800
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Osborne, Mike, 2011, Defending Hampshire: The Military Landscape from Prehistory to the Present (Stroud: The History Press) p. 245 (listed in Appendix)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 195
  • Colvin, H.M., Ransome, D.R. and Summerson, John, 1982, The history of the King's Works, Vol. 4: 1485-1660 (part 2) (London) p. 512-4
  • Williams, G H., 1979, The Western Defences of Portsmouth Harbour 1400-1800 (Portsmouth City Council: Portsmouth Papers 30) p. 13, 14
  • Williams, G H., 1974, Earlier Fortifications of Gosport (Gosport Historic Records and Museum Soc)

Journals

  • Saunders, A.D., 1967, 'Hampshire coastal defence since the introduction of artillery' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 123 p. 142

Primary Sources

  • c. 1548, The Encampment of the English forces near Portsmouth, Together with a view of the English and French fleets at commencement of the action between them on the XIXth¬† July MDXLV (Cowdray picture) For a discussion of this picture see Dominic Fontana, The Cowdray engravings and the loss of the Mary Rose

Other

  • Dave Hopkins, 2004, Extensive Urban Survey - Hampshire and the Isle of Wight (English Heritage) Download copy