St Lois

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are earthwork remains

NameSt Lois
Alternative NamesSt Loys; Sutton; le maners
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityEast Riding of Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityHumberside
Civil ParishSutton Upon Derwent

Moated site at St Lois Farm. It includes a large sub-rectangular moated site enclosed by a waterlogged moat. The island enclosed by the main moat is subdivided by a ditch, now dry, which runs north-south. The area of the island to the west of this ditch measures 30m north-south by 20m east-west; the area to the east, which is slightly larger and more irregularly shaped, measures 50m north-south by 35m east-west. The dividing ditch is 20m deep and 7m wide. The moat which enclosed the island has been in-filled at the south-east corner of the monument, probably when the adjacent farm complex was constructed in this area. Elsewhere it remains visible as an earthwork and is between 7m and 10m wide and up to 20m deep. A pond has been cut into south-east corner of the monument just north of the farmyard. This feature is considered to be of medieval origin but has been expanded and has disturbed part of the island and moat here. Earthen banks survive immediately outside the western and northern arms of the moat; they are between 0.3m and 0.5m high and 5m wide. The monument was owned in the Middle Ages by the Percy family who were Earls of Northumberland. A licence to crenellate was granted for the site in 1293, allowing Percy to fortify it. Building debris has been found on the eastern island, indicating the presence of structural remains here. (Scheduling Report)

The manor-house was probably mentioned, as 'le maners' in the park, in 1309. It was certainly recorded in 1368. The park had been mentioned as early as 1280 and ground south of the manor-house is still called the Park. It may have been in the manor-house, moreover, that the chapel was located where Aubrey, widow of Robert de Percy, was licensed to have a chaplain in 1232. In 1314 Aubrey, daughter of Robert de Percy, was granted an oratory in the manor-house. (VCH)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSE709492
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Allison, K.J. (ed), 1976, 'Sutton Upon Derwent' VCH Yorkshire: East Riding Vol. 3 online transcription
  • Le Patourel, H.E. Jean, 1973, The Moated Sites of Yorkshire (The Society for Medieval Archaeology Monograph Series 5) p. 116
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 403 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1895, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward I (1292-1301) Vol. 3 p. 6, 14 online copy


  • Historic England, 2016, Heritage at Risk Yorkshire Register 2016 (London: Historic England) p. 17 online copy
  • Historic England, 2015, Heritage at Risk Yorkshire Register 2015 (London: Historic England) p. 19 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2014, Heritage at Risk Register 2014 Yorkshire (London: English Heritage) p. 22 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2013, Heritage at Risk Register 2013 Yorkshire (London: English Heritage) p. 22 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2012, Heritage at Risk Register 2012 Yorkshire and the Humber (London: English Heritage) p. 40 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2011, Heritage at Risk Register 2011 Yorkshire and the Humber (London: English Heritage) p. 37 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2010, Heritage at Risk Register 2010 Yorkshire and the Humber (London: English Heritage) p. 37 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2009, Heritage at Risk Register 2009 Yorkshire and the Humber (London: English Heritage) p. 47 online copy