Collin Bank

Has been described as a Questionable Pele Tower, and also as a Questionable Bastle

There are no visible remains

NameCollin Bank
Alternative NamesWilleava; Willyavye
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishAskerton

On the Side Fell, south of Collin Bank, is a grassy mound on which stood a 15th/16th c Pele, the foundations of which are still clearly traceable (Curwen).

The platformed area at Collin Bank 50' x 46' with a smaller rectangle 32' x 11' adjoining on the SE represent the remains of a tenement existing in 1603 (Ramm, McDowall and Mercer).

Fragments of turf-covered foundations 0.1m to 0.2m in height are all that remains (Field Investigators Comments F1 BHP 14-JUL-72).

Ill-defined turf covered wall footings are still evident measuring 14.0m north-south by 12.0m transversely about 0.2m maximum height, with a sub-divided outbuilding on the southeast (Field Investigators Comments F2 ISS 22-MAY-79). (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

King wrote 'Tower fragmentary'. Perriam & Robinson write this was the Willeava included in 1603 survey. Not a gentry status site. Clearly a pele-house not a pele-tower.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY574729
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 144
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 84, 94
  • Ramm, H.G., McDowall, R.W. and Mercer, E., 1970, Shielings and Bastles (London) p. 47 No. 189
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 408


  • Maughan, J., 1854, 'The Maiden Way' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 11 p. 17-18 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Graham, T. H. B. (ed.). 1934, The barony of Gilsland. Lord William Howard's survey, taken in 1603 (Feild-Booke yt explaines all the Map Booke for Gilsland taken in 1603) (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 16)